Street Outreach actively locates and engages individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness and living on the streets within Grand Traverse, Benzie, Leelanau, Kalkaska and Benzie counties. Street Outreach meets people where they are and provides resources to end homelessness. Street Outreach provides emergency assistance, emotional support, crisis intervention and/or referrals to community support services.
The Street Outreach team and volunteers work to identify and reduce barriers to care and to increase the use of all available services through partnerships with area programs serving people experiencing homelessness such as Community Meals, Safe Harbor, Jubilee House.
The goal of Street Outreach is to connect people to long term solutions to end their homelessness.
- Providing and making known existing community programs and services to the unsheltered.
- Working with the city’s police, paramedics and firefighters in response to reports related to homelessness.
- Advocating for the rights of the homeless.
- Improving networking with all human service agencies and faith based organizations.
- Encouraging and helping access to use available services.
- Treating people experiencing homelessness with dignity and respect.
Street Outreach Services and Strategies
- Create a safe presence
- Initiate non-threatening conversation
Information and Referral:
- Provide information about available services through Goodwill programs and the Goodwill Inn.
- Provide information for help and access to area resources.
- Assist with accessing shelter/housing and entitlements.
- Assist individuals in accessing food, clothing, showers, laundry, phone, mail, etc.
- Give support and counsel, as well as be an advocate to other agencies to help individual and families receive necessary services.
- Intervene in crisis situations creating links to emergency medical or psychiatric care.
- Street Outreach is actively out in the community. Outreach happens at shelters, churches, drop in centers, transitional houses, community meal programs, under bridges and overpasses, park benches, vacant buildings, abandoned vehicles, wooded areas and river banks, throughout the entire community.
Your donation today will help improve the living conditions of individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness on the streets within the Grand Traverse area. Donate Now!
Contact Street Outreach
Phone: 231-995-7721 Email: Street Outreach